On October 25, 2010, six animal rights activists (Alfie Fitzpatrick, Tom Harris, Jason Mullen, Nicola Tapping, Nicole Vosper, Sarah Whitehead) were sentenced for their involvement in the Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty (SHAC) campaign. The activists had pleaded guilty to either "conspiring to interfere with the contractual relations of an animal research organization," or "conspiracy to blackmail" companies linked to the notorious animal testing lab, Huntingdon Life Sciences.

Seven other activists (Dan Amos, Gregg Avery, Natasha Avery, Gavin Medd-Hall, Heather Nicholson, Gerrah Selby, Dan Wadham) were jailed in January 2009 following their convictions on similar charges.

The purely political prosecutions and harsh and unjust sentences are an attempt by the British government to crush dissent and to stop anyone from speaking out against vivisection.

Dan Amos

After serving 2 years in prison, Dan was released in July 2010.


Gregg Avery

Gregg was released in October 2011 after completing his 9 year sentence.


Natasha Avery

Natasha was released in October 2011 after completing her 9 year sentence.


Alfie Fitzpatrick

Sentence: 1 year suspended sentence


Tom Harris

Sentence: 5 years

In January 2011, one year was added to Tom's original 4 year sentence after he was found guilty of involvement in vandalism at companies linked to Huntingdon Life Sciences in 2008.


Gavin Medd-Hall

Gavin was released in January 2013 after serving 4 years of his 8 year sentence.


Jason Mullen

Jason was released in October 2011 after completing his 3 year sentence.


Heather Nicholson

Heather was released in November 2012 after completing her 11 year sentence.


Gerrah Selby

Gerrah was released in January 2011.


Nicola Tapping

Nicola was released from prison in March 2011 after completing her 1 year and 3 month sentence.


Nicole Vosper

After serving 21 months in prison, Nicole was released in December 2010.


Dan Wadham

Dan was released in July 2011 after completing his 5 year sentence.


Sarah Whitehead

Sarah was released from prison in June 2012 after completing her 6 year sentence.